The following blog post is a summary of a project completed by Research & Marketing Strategies (RMS) in Syracuse, NY – a mall intercept survey firm.
Background: The main objective of the project was to provide the client with an understanding of the shopping habits of respective shoppers at each of their 15 enclosed malls including the frequency of mall visits, the average amount of expenditure within anchor stores (at this particular time of year), favorite stores and cross-shopping incidence between retail tenants. The client also wanted to gauge patron perceptions, satisfaction and loyalty, as well as obtain shopper suggestions as to what areas in the respective mall need improvement and learn what additional retail mix is desired.
Approach: RMS conducted primary market research through administration of a three- to five-minute intercept survey administered to shoppers at each of the designated 15 malls owned and managed by the client. RMS utilized a standard intercept survey instrument across all of the 15 malls so that cross-tabulations and comparisons could be performed for the client in the aggregate. Each mall site and manager received a summary report.
RMS obtained at least 400 completed surveys at each mall site. This ensured a relatively high-degree of reliability with the survey findings. RMS utilized preferred temporary service agencies that each mall has used in the past in order to assemble the staff across the country. RMS staff coordinated and conducted the mall intercept survey interviewing at each mall location. Interviewers were stationed at various high-traffic areas in the mall, which were predetermined. Fieldwork began each morning at approximately 11 a.m. and lasted through approximately 8 p.m. Thursday through Sunday (depending on traffic). Each mall provided the RMS interviewers with unique giveaways to entice participation in the study and garner more engaged respondents. In addition, the client provided each participant with an option to enter into a raffle to win a $50 mall gift card.
Results: Each mall report provided the client with valuable insight into the following key business questions:
- How many times per month do customers typically visit our mall?
- Is this more or less than other malls in the area?
- How much time do customers typically spend in the mall on a visit?
- How much money do customers typically spend on a visit to the mall?
- How much is spent at anchor stores compared to other stores in the mall?
- How much is spent on food and drinks in the mall during a visit?
- Do customers use the mall’s website and social media sites and why?
- Would customers use a mall smartphone app?
- Where are customers coming from in relation to drive time and ZIP Codes?
- Has the mall changed for the better, the worse or stayed the same in the past three years? Why?
- What specific stores would you like to see added to this mall?
- What are our customers key demographics – age, gender, marital status, income, educational attainment, etc?
Are you interested in conducting a similar mall intercept survey project at your mall to gain valuable insights in shopper spending habits? Contact our Business Development Director, Sandy Baker, at SandyB@RMSresults.com or by calling (315) 635-9802.