CMS announced its national implementation requirements for ICH CAHPS®. CMS is making major changes to the requirements and procedures that must be followed by in-center hemodialysis (ICH) facilities, which will begin the national implementation of the ICH CAHPS® survey administration in the fall of 2014.
It is important to fully understand your new responsibilities to ensure full compliance with the survey as your patients deserve consistent high quality care.
Key specifications for the ICH CAHPS® survey’s national implementation are as follows:
- Beginning in fall of 2014, ICH facilities will be required to conduct the survey twice annually, each fall and spring (only one survey in 2014, then two surveys per year beginning in 2015).
- Surveys must be conducted by a third-party vendor approved by CMS using one of three acceptable protocols: mail only (new for 2014), phone only or mixed mode.
- Surveys can be conducted in English, Spanish, or Chinese (new for 2014).
- Facilities with 30 or fewer eligible patients annually (as determined by CMS) are exempt from participation in the ICH CAHPS® survey.
- Sample will be drawn by CMS for each ICH facility and provided to the facility’s designated survey vendor.
- Dialysis patients who reside in the same skilled nursing facility where they also receive dialysis will be excluded from the survey sample.
- Survey responses will be submitted to CMS for public reporting (beginning after a full year of surveying has been conducted).
For more details on CMS’s announcement, contact RMS Healthcare to speak with our knowledgeable staff who can answer your questions about the new changes and provide you resources to reference. Megan O’Donnell, Manager of RMS Healthcare can be reached at MeganO@RMSresults.com or by calling 866-567-5422. Research & Marketing Strategies (RMS) is an ICH CAHPS® vendor located in New York.